I have been an attorney for 16 years, and have lived in Asheville, NC since 1999. I graduated from Southwestern University School of Law in 1995, and obtained my B.A. from St. Andrews University in 1992. I have been licensed to practice law in North Carolina since 2000, and have also passed the bars in California, South Dakota, and Texas. Below please find a brief biography:
I established my Asheville-based solo practice in 2012, where I work with individuals and families to ensure that their end-of-life legal issues are handled in a timely and compassionate manner. My work includes drafting wills, powers of attorney, and advance directives; preparing trusts; creating, modifying and terminating guardianships; and drafting contracts and organizing businesses. I offer seminars on estate planning and elder law matters; my recent legal seminars include “Guardianships 101″ for attorneys in conjunction with Pisgah Legal Services, and “LGBT Estate Planning” with the Campaign for Southern Equality. Please see the News and Events section for upcoming seminars.
Prior to my elder law work, I have assisted people with their charitable giving through my work for The Community Foundation of Western North Carolina and the North Carolina Center for the Advancement of Teaching. This work has inspired much of my efforts to assist clients with planned giving. I also chaired the Paralegal Studies Program for South College – Asheville, helped found the Asheville Area Paralegal Association, and worked as in-house counsel for telecommunications companies.
I believe that service to our community makes everyone’s lives better, and I am proud to volunteer with the following organizations:
- Council on Aging of Asheville and Buncombe County, Inc. – Board of Directors
- Pisgah Legal Services – Hotline Attorney and Mountain Area Volunteer Lawyer
- Asheville Go Local supporter – purchase a Go Local card to receive 10% off my services while supporting our schools
- Campaign for Southern Equality – presenter and law clinic volunteer at Blue Ridge Pride 2011, and presenter of LGBT Estate Planning in April 2012
- Daoist Traditions College of Chinese Medicine – Advisory Board Member since 2005
I live in West Asheville with my wonderful husband, our young son and our two dogs.